Light Engineering, Electrical & Electronics
The light engineering industry in Bangladesh continues to grow each year. This labor-intensive sector produces a diverse range of items, including import substitute machinery spares, plant machineries, small tools, toys, consumer items and paper products for the domestic market. Most of these enterprises are located in and around Dhaka metropolis. Entrepreneurs from China, Japan and Korea have taken advantage of Bangladesh’s cheap and easily trainable labor and its infrastructure facilities to manufacture products for the export market.
- Global Electrical and Electronic products are highly branded. Bangladesh is producing mostly for the domestic market.
- Bangladesh encourages private sector investment with 100% foreign ownership.
- Approx USD 9 bn market demand while local production approx. USD 1 bn
- More than 3,000 units are in operation
- Major Import substitution opportunity exists
- Middle-class consumers of Bangladesh consist population more than Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand
- Over 90% of light engineering industries are serving the local needs of the people.
- 10% cash incentives for export
Sector Highlights :
Thriving in this sector are machinery parts and consumer items.
- Increasingly affluent middle class creating demand for consumer durables
- About 40,000 small scale light engineering enterprises existing over the country.
- Export-oriented production has experienced strong growth in past few years.
- Currently about 10,000 types of different items are manufactured for the local industry.
- As demand grows for engineering and electronic goods, so does demand for light engineering products.
- Government provides cash incentive facilities to exporters of value-added light engineering products.